Summer Learning Journey-Shadow Art

The day this Summer Learning Journey activity was released I couldn’t do it outside because it was raining. But the days after, I was finally able to complete it. I thought I should try and find a plant with a butterfly, but I just chose any plant near me. It was kind of hard to trace the shadow of the plant because the wind kept pushing the leaves but I eventually got it. I also traced another plant nearby to make it look less spacious.

I colored the blue plant shadow blue because I thought it would make the picture a bit brighter. But to be honest, I’m not liking the color I chose. I think if I colored both black then it would be pretty cool. It didn’t take me a while to do this but I loved this activity. It reminds me of the time when my sister and I would grab a flashlight, turn off all the lights, and play shadow puppets. I was only able to make a “dog” shadow. I have seen those videos where those people are able to make Gangnam Style.

Have you ever seen people do unique shadows?

5 thoughts on “Summer Learning Journey-Shadow Art

1. Talofa Maddy
    Jamie here! Your shadow art is pretty cool, especially the blue. I don’t think you should change its color because the contrast of the blue against the white alongside the black really compliments each other. Whatever you do Maddy, I know it will turn out great!

Your description is really well written, and I liked that you included something that reminded you of memories with your sister. I think the Gangnam Style dance was performed on America’s Got Talent, right? Have a great day, see you soon and have a happy 2024!!
    From your friend, Jamie

1. Talofa Lava Jamie

I agree! Although I think the blue shadow looks pretty wrong. I like your opinion better. You really know how to change someones point of view, I love it! I didn’t know that the Gangnam Style dance was actually performed on America’s Got Talent! If it was then I would love to see it some day.

Have a good day today! And enjoy your time this year,2024!!!
      -Madelyn

2. Kia ora Madelyn,

It’s Charlotte here, a Summer Learning Journey Blog Commenter. Well done giving the ‘Shadow Art’ activity a go! How did you find this activity? I thought it was lots of fun!

When I saw this activity I did think that it might be difficult due to the rainy weather that has been covering the country these holidays! However, you have done a fantastic job at giving it a go.

I noticed that you mentioned not liking the pop of blue you have used when colouring in your piece of art – I actually quite like it! I think that it adds interest to your piece. Is blue your favourite colour? Mine is purple because it reminds me of a field of flowers.

Ngā Mihi Nui
    Charlotte Visser
    Summer Learning Journey

1. Talofa lava Charlotte

I really did enjoy this activity! It was very fun. But until the rainy weather arrived, it made it difficult. Luckily days later it was finally sunny.

Blue isn’t really my favourite colour, but its still very beautiful. I chose blue because it was the only marker colour that I found. My favourite colour is green. It reminds me of nature and frogs.

Have a good day today!
      -Madelyn

1. Kia ora Madelyn,

I think we have been lucky during the last half of our NZ summer because it has been much sunnier than the first half! Perfect for this activity.

Green is an awesome colour, it reminds me of shrek which is my favourite movie. Do you have a favourite move?

Ngā Mihi Nui
        Charlotte Visser
        Summer Learning Journey