Summer Learning Journey-Notan Art (Step it Up)

For the Step it Up version, I had to make a theme or a scene. As in maybe friends in the park, or fishes swimming but for my theme I did “wildlife”. For the shapes I used, I just used the curve tool to trace most of the animals. As for the sun, I created it on my own without any tracing. My favourite animal that you can tame are cats.

I love how cute and scary they are, sometimes their very random and just run around. But others like mine just sleep,eat and sleep. If your favourite pet animal is a cat, what do you love about them? While creating this I tried making a “cat” theme. But instead I decided to go for all animals. Fun fact! The camel looking animal was originally supposed to be a bird flying. But it didn’t look right so it became a weird looking camel.

3 thoughts on “Summer Learning Journey-Notan Art (Step it Up)

1. Kia ora Madelyn,

What a great job you have done with the animal shapes and the line tools! I think the bats and cat look really effective and you have got the symmetrical placement of the shape that goes outside the box placed well.
    One little adjustment you may want to consider is to look at the placement of your ‘camel’s’ head that is outside of the box. It is at the top of you box and in order to be symmetrical would be better placed on top of the black body along with the neck.
    I am impressed with your skills with shapes and lines with your sun!
    I don’t have a cat but do have a dog that sometimes behaves like one. She curls herself up to sleep just like a cat!
    Keep up the good work.

Whaea Michelle
    Manaiaklani Facilitator – Horowhenua

1. Talofa lava Michelle

Thank you for commenting on my work, I really appreciate it. I agree, connecting the bird-like camel head with its body would make it easier. I decided not to add them together so it would look better. Turns out I was wrong but it did turn out kind of nice.

I have seen cats act like dogs. As in they can bark sometimes and I think have a lot of energy. But I’ve never seen a dog act like a cat before. I think both dogs and cats are very cute.

Have a good day today! And enjoy this new year!
      -Madelyn

2. Ahiahi pai Maddy
    you have created another amazing Notan Artwork! My favorite piece is the cat. It’s tail inside of itself(which it actually isn’t) has a different colour which makes the artwork more interesting. I agree with you, cats can be interesting and aggressive creatures but at the end of the day they have emotions like us.

To answer your question, I love cats because my neighbour in my old neighbourhood had three cats, and one cat was so lovable! At the start, she was tiny and scared(like us), but she loosened up and became one of my favorite animals. What moments are your favorite with your cat?

Keep up the great work this and next year Maddy, enjoy the rest of your holiday and God bless!!!
    Your friend, Jamie