Zoo

Zoo, by Anthony Browne is a story we studied for English. What is the role of a zoo and what is the relationship between man and animals? Below is my recreation of an orangutan enclosure and a diary entry from the POV of an orangutan entering it for the first time.

I step onto the cold grass, amazement hits me with full force as I find myself in a beautiful and healthy environment. My rough feet battle against the sharp but soft blades of grass. Adventuring throughout the enclosure, I find more sceneries to observe. I meet weirdly shaped shadows flying across my head freely from one tree to another. I expect screaming and banging through the window, fighting my ear buds, but no. Silence completely fills the enclosure. How can silence be so quiet but loud at the same time? The fresh scent immediately climbs through my nostrils like a ladder. It attacks my tongue, making the roof of my mouth dry and crusty. I lie down on the now warm grass, it calms me and burns all my worries to ashes. Nothing can irritate me now. I am truly one with nature around me.