Summer Learning Journey-Blowflies profile

Although I hate bugs, I like to study them whenever I get the chance too. I chose Blowflies because they’re the first bug in new zealand I thought of. its so annoying and frustrating when they fly around and put their germs on my food, especially in the Summer. The blowfly is probably the bug I dislike the most. What bug do you despise?

2 thoughts on “Summer Learning Journey-Blowflies profile

1. Kia ora Madelyn,

Another blog post! Awesome work Madelyn.

I like how you used the word despised. What an awesome word. I despise cockroaches. The fact they can survive a whole week without a head and a whole month without food is scary. Cockroaches were also around when dinosaurs were around and will likely be around forever. They seem to breed like crazy and never die. I’m a bit like you though, I don’t love bugs but I do find them interesting to study.

You mentioned in your blog blowflies are noisy when they fly. They are very noisy and can be a real pain. Do you know why they make so much noise?
    I didn’t know decaying/rotting meat was what they eat. If they are flying around is that an indication that there is rotting meat nearby or do they eat other leftover foods also?

I like your choice of photos although the third one was a bit confronting. They look a wee bit scary close up don’t they.

What is your favourite insect? Mine is definitely a bee. They are such interesting insects and they play a vital role in our planet.

Anna
    SLJ

2. Talofa Lava Anna

I’ve barely come across a cockroach but I dislike them very much. The way they run is very scary, especially when they run towards you. But I didn’t know that they can survive without their head or eating, that makes them even more scarier!

And to answer your questions, I think their noisy because their wings dont contain joints or their wings are very thin. The times it flaps are probably 100 or 200 times which I think does something to the wind that surrounds them, creating an annoying sound. My favourite insect Ladybugs, they’re so small and shiny which is very cute. I don’t know if they do good to our enviroment though.

Have a good day today! And a happy New Years as well
    -Madelyn