Summer Learning Journey-R.E.S.P.E.C.T in TONGA

Why does wearing a KieKie or a Ta’ovala show respect in Tonga? Well, the reason why is because it represents where the people come from. And wearing them both around your waist symbolises wrapping Tonga around you wherever you go.

15 thoughts on “Summer Learning Journey-R.E.S.P.E.C.T in TONGA

1. Kia ora Madelyn,

My name is Anna and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey team. It is awesome to see you blogging so regularly. Keep it up!

You have done a marvelous job on this activity. I like how well you explained what both Keikei and Ta’ovala are. It was well written and very informative. It is also such a beautiful meaning. I specifically like the concept of the wrapping and taking Tonga with you everywhere you go. What a beautiful meaning.

Great design too. Thank you for putting it into your blog post at a big size, it makes it much easier to look at and enjoy. What inspired your design and the colours you used?

Remember to include questions in your blog post. A good example of a question could be “Do you have anything in your culture that has a similar meaning or significance to you?”

Keep up the awesome blogging Madelyn
    Anna

1. Talofa Lava Anna

Thank you for commenting on my work, I appreciate it. While researching information, I got help from my dearest Tongan friends. She’s really lovely, and very kind. And to answer your question, I was inspired by the unique patterns of some other Kiekie’s. As for the colours, I just chose the ones that fit each other.

Thank you for reminding me to put some questions in my blog post, I always forget to add them.

Have a good day today! And have a fantastic Christmas too!
      Madelyn

1. Kia ora Madelyn,

It’s always good to learn from people that know. I’m glad you reached out to your friend to find out more information about Tonga and their culture. What a good idea. Did she teach you anything super cool that you remember?

I can see you have got quite a few comments on your work. I like how you are taking the time to reply to comments.

Have you been enjoying the Summer Learning Journey so far? What has been your favourite activity?

Anna

2. Hi Madelyn, My name is Lilly from Wigram Primary School.
    Your kiekie is amazing! It would have taken ages to make. Keep up the amazing work.
    Lilly:)

1. Talofa Lava Lilly

Thank you for commenting on my work, I really appreciate it. And yes, you’re correct this project did take my a lot of time to make and complete.

Madelyn

3. Hi Madelyn, your work is awesome and I really like all the colours and details that you put into your kiekie and My name is Brenna from Wigram Primary School.

1. Talofa Lava Brenna

Thank you for commenting on my work, Although I’m not Tongan I admire their culture and history. I love activities like this, it gives me an opportunity to learn about other peoples culture and probably get to talk about mine later on.

Have a good day today! And a happy Christmas as well!
      Madelyn

4. Hi Madelyn my name is Joanna from Glen Taylor School .
    Your Keikei looks so cool it must have taken ages to make and I like how you added a lot of detail and colours to your Keikei.

Keep up the good work 👍,
    Joanna

1. Talofa Lava Joanna

It did take me quite a long time,but I’m very proud how it turned out. It didn’t meet my expectations but it went above my expectations instead! This design is my favourite.

Thank you, and have a good day!
      -Madelyn

5. Hello Madelyn this is Blane from Hay Park School.
    Thank you for sharing that with us.
    I know I am not Tongan but I have learnt some Tongan in Tongan language week.
    This is Blane signing off. Bye and Merry Christmas.

1. Talofa Lava Blane

Sorry for replying late, although were in school holidays. I do have some busy stuff to complete. Anyways thank you for commenting, always happy to share knowledge to everyone.

Have a good day today!
      -Madelyn

6. Kia ora Madelyn, Swaimah here from Pt England School.

Oh my gosh, I’m extremely speechless. Your Kiekie is REALLY EXTREMELY beautiful!
    All the colours combined together just makes everything looks more realistic.
    I love how much effort and time you spent on this Tongan Kiekie.
    All the patterns are wonderful and they all come in different colours.
    The designs that you added are so so SO detailed!

Questions

How long did it take for you to make this Kiekie?
    Do you love art as much as I do?

Swaimah <3

1. Talofa Lava Swaimah

Thank you for commenting and the compliments. As I said, the colours are inspired by other tongan kiekies. Although im not tongan, I would love to try creating one myself someday.

And to answer your questions, Although I can’t remember things, I think it took me 15 or 25 minutes to create this. I would say I love art as much as anyone, I also love creating art. But I barely do art since I’m having to complete tasks everyday.

Anyways, Have a good day today! And enjoy this new year!
      -Madelyn

7. Hola, Madelyn!

The names Leata from Pt England School and soon-to-be Year 8. I must say, you have created a very beautiful masterpiece of this kiekie! Better than mine too, as I’m not really Tongan (I’m Samoan). Just wanted to ask if are actually good at making a REAL kiekie? Or is it better making a kiekie with Google Draw?

Anyways, keep up the awesome blogging❤
    -Leata.L

8. Hi Their Madelyn
    It’s Annabel here from Koputaroa school.
    I LOVE your Ta’ovala It looks amazing! I love how you described why it is a sign of resect to Tonga. I also really liked the colours and shapes you used. Next time I think you could add a little bit more information in your post like what you found challenging or what your favourite part was. Thanks for doing a great blog post!
    Ka Kite!